Thursday, November 29, 2007

David Broderick


In an exclusive interview, David Broderick talks about his new EP 'Miles from the Highway' and the Denton, Texas music scene.

[indiessance]
In Denton, Texas, the University of North Texas houses the largest music school in the nation. Add to that a metro population exceeding 7.5 million, and you have the perfect environment for a music culture to thrive in. How did the Denton music scene help you develop your craft? Are there plenty of venues that you like to perform at there?


[david broderick]
I had been coming to Denton for years to go to various shows. I lived in a town right in the middle of the metroplex so Dallas and Fort Worth were roughly equal distances, but Denton always drew the coolest bands. I think one of the biggest influences Denton has provided is its huge jazz scene, and the high population of musicians in general. The town has to cater to that so in return there are a lot of places to play; Hailey's, Andy's, J & J's, Rubber Gloves, Dan's Silverleaf, The Secret Headquarters which actually just closed down. As a musician you can pretty much always find a place to play, and if you cant then you can always get on 35 and head to Dallas, Fort Worth, OKC, or Austin.

[indiessance]
You informed me that Midlake, Robert Gomez, Baptist Generals and Fishboy all come from Denton - and that list goes on. Are there any other up-and-coming Dentonites that we should know about? Which Denton bands do you like the most?


[david broderick]
There is this great band I checked out a few weeks ago called Mom. They're one of the most interesting, beautiful things I've ever heard from the area. Grab their CD if you can find it anywhere. I'd say Midlake has been my biggest influence from a Denton band. I see them every time I get a chance, and I actually just got back from having coffee with the keyboard player. I've really enjoyed everything they have done from the time I was in 8th or 9th grade. They're incredible.

[indiessance]
'Points off the Center' - the A-side from your new EP 'Miles from the Highway' - has a Latin vibe with shuffle rhythm and percussion. Are there any particular Latin music genres or artists that inspire you?


[david broderick]
I like a lot of bossa nova jazz stuff, but I'm not particularly into any latin artists. I think I'm just attracted to some of those rhythms and qualities because they have a strong beat to them and you don't hear it too much in most modern music coming out. It's really catchy and has an interesting, almost dance quality.

[indiessance]
The phrase 'miles from the highway' can be found in the lyrics to 'Points off the Center'; the lyrics sound tight. Do you feel that good lyrics are important to a song?


[david broderick]
I definitely think that lyrics can make or break a song, and that's definitely the area that I'm most self conscious about. I try to write in as few words what I would like to say and in a non-direct fashion. Whenever I try to say too much I end up ruining what I started with. I focus on melodies a lot too. A strong melody that gets stuck in your head is a good melody. A unique melody that you find yourself singing without becoming obnoxious is a great melody.

[indiessance]
How does the title of your EP tie into the meaning of 'Points off the Center'? What is the meaning of the song?


[david broderick]
Both the title and lyric refer to just getting away from things. I was just ready for a change in my surroundings. It's kind of ironic because where I'm living now, I can see highway 35 from around the corner. The album as a whole is about seeing something new, but 'Points off the Center' is actually about going back to how things were when most everything new ends up being the same.

[indiessance]
A song titled '7/4 Shoreline' by Broken Social Scene is played in non-standard 7/4 time. I seem to hear a non-standard time signature in 'Give a Hand' from your new EP. Mainly, I'm referring to the drumbeat that comes in with the Roswellian news flash. Is the drummer playing a non-standard beat?


[david broderick]
Actually that song is standard 6/8 time, but it has a bit of a "gallop" to it which might give it an odd feel. The section after the second verse is played very loosely though. I think it opens that area up a lot into a melodic dream-like state which suits the song well and adds to the dynamics of the song before such a rigid and dissonant crescendo.

[indiessance]
One year ago, more than 50 eyewitnesses - including several airline employees - saw an unidentifiable flying object above O'Hare Airport. For 60 years, Americans have been reporting this unexplainable phenomenon. 'Give a Hand' has a news flash track that sounds like an early Roswell report. Could you describe what 'Give a Hand' is about? How do you feel about the UFO phenomenon?


[david broderick]
'Give a Hand' is the opening song on the EP and I think serves two purposes. On one end it gives you some insight to the main character of the album, but it also is me sort of telling myself that putting myself in a new area isn't necessarily going to be an amazing new experience. I think it's kind of best stated with the lines "There's nothing in the woods you can't find in the city where you're from." I can say I'm not particularly interested in UFO phenomenon, although there is a ridiculous website about how Earth was colonized by aliens and Jesus was one of the aliens. I have fun browsing through that place.

[indiessance]
Are there any particular producers or engineers who have helped develop or shape your sound?


[david broderick]
I recorded, mixed and mastered this album on my own so I would definitely say that I have some influences as far as that whole aspect goes. My brother had a home studio off of his bedroom and he was always messing around in there. I read an interview with Brian Deck, this chicago guy who has done a lot of big records, and I really like his style and way of seeing things as far as mixing goes. I like listening to lots of records and seeing what kinds of sounds they use, and tones. The new Animal Collective is great; I'm still absorbing both Midlake albums. I don't know.. It's really such an overwhelming thing to take on and just a really big learning experience. I've learned a lot about how I play and how I write.

[indiessance]
What are some of the extra musical instruments you use to flesh out your tracks, and help define your sound? Any particular effects or synths that you like to use?


[david broderick]
On this record I have used a lot of flute samples. I think they have this warm, rustic quality that exaggerates the whole "living in the woods" vibe. I also messed around with a lot of different overdriven synth sounds, and organs. For the most part everything else was pretty standard. A lot of tape delay was used, and played around with trying to get a lot of "warbling" sounds on some of the leads.



profile @ rippletunes.com
Copyright © 2016 Indiessance